Friday, April 03, 2009

Quote of the day...

And perhaps my new favorite Foucault quote. (No, I don't recall having had an old favorite Foucault quote.) From Security, Territory, Population, p. 304, lecture of 22 March 1978.

We should never forget that Europe as a juridical-political entity, as a system of diplomatic and political security, is the yoke that the most powerful countries (of this Europe) imposed on Germany every time they tried to make it forget the dream of the sleeping emperor


Less pithy follow-up:
So, if the emperor never really wakes up, we should not be surprised that Germany sometimes gets up and says: "I am Europe. I am Europe since you wished it that I be Europe."

1 comment:

Todd Seavey said...

Wasn't it agents of the Bundesrat who said, "The Sleeper must awaken"?