Monday, June 23, 2008

A New Hampshirite Remembers George Carlin

A sentimental favorite of mine among all the great bits by the late, great George Carlin, from "What Am I Doing In New Jersey?", ran:


The most dramatic license plate of all has to be New Hampshire's, which says [solemnly] "Live Free or [Sam Kinison voice] DIE!!!"

Well, I'm certainly not going to move there. I get just a little nervous in any state where they mention death right on the license plates.

On the other hand, Idaho says [goofy old man voice] "Famous potatoes."

I guess those are the two extremes in thought.

It would seem to me that somewhere in between "Live free or die" and "famous potatoes" the truth lies. Probably it's a little closer to "famous potatoes."


For more on Carlin, see Marty Beckerman at Reason; and Kevin Smith.